The Cymedica E-vive System
The e-vive system is designed to deliver neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) for muscle activation, which aids recovery by strengthening muscles and supporting joint health and function. The e-vive system also communicates important data regarding your personalized rehabilitation progress back to your healthcare team.
Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation Treatment Rationale
Quadriceps atrophy – or the weakening of your thigh muscles – is a common occurrence associated with many orthopedic conditions. The resulting loss of muscle tone and mass may potentially decrease your strength, mobility and hinder normal function of the surrounding joints.
One of the latest technologies available to help you reduce the effects of quadriceps atrophy is called Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation or NMES. This treatment when used regularly with other prescribed care plans can help restore strength, function and enhance your rehabilitation.
Protocol and Operating Instructions
- The e-vive device is operated through an application on your smart device, which was set up at your initial visit to the DME Store. To access the device for stimulation, locate the CyMedica evive application.
- To achieve maximum benefit, it is recommended to perform at least two 20-minute stimulation sessions daily, for 5 days per week throughout your rehabilitation period and beyond.
- Bluetooth must be enabled on your smart device in order to connect the application with the garment.
- Stimulation sessions should begin approximately 48 hours after your surgery, once you remove your surgical dressings as indicated by your physician. Note: The electrodes should not be placed directly over incisions or staples.
- Your ice machine should not be used at the same time as the muscular stimulation treatments.
- Make sure the e-vive controller is charged before use. It will take approximately 4 hours to fully charge.
- Patients are encouraged to apply the highest tolerable intensity levels for the knee and thigh to create a visible contraction of the muscles while not causing discomfort or pain. The intensity levels for the knee and thigh areas can be different. The intensity levels will vary by treatment and should be set by “feel”. a. Use the POST-OP PROGRAM for the first 7 days of using the device. b. Use the STRENGTH PROGRAM after the first 7 days of using this device.
- Following a stimulation session, be sure to complete the Range of Motion Test each day and complete the surveys as you are prompted.
Important Care Information
- For comfort and effectiveness, electrodes should be replaced when they are no longer tacky or are uncomfortable. An additional electrode set is provided in the e-vive device box. Contact CyMedica customer service directly to order additional electrodes at 844.296.2014.
- Electrodes must be positioned directly onto the skin. Remove the electrode protective covers before use. The protective covers should be placed back onto the electrodes while not in use.
- Do not shave your leg on the day of stimulation sessions – shaving prior to stimulation may cause discomfort.
- Cleaning: DO NOT machine wash or submerge the device in water. If cleaning is needed, wipe the elastic garment down with a damp cloth. Anti-bacterial disinfectant spray or a mild detergent may be used if needed.
- If you develop any type of skin reaction after using this device, you should immediately STOP the stimulation, place a towel in between your skin and the garment, and contact the DME Store.
- Please DO NOT over-tighten the straps of the garment when applying the post-operative knee brace. You should NEVER have a “numbness and tingling feeling” in your foot or extremity with the brace on. If you do, the brace must be loosened immediately. If these symptoms continue, contact your physician’s office via e-mail or phone.
At a Glance
Dr. Jorge Chahla
- Triple fellowship-trained sports medicine surgeon
- Performs over 500 surgeries per year
- Assistant professor of orthopedic surgery at Rush University
- Learn more